Feizor farmhouses

101 21
Feizor lies on the other side of Oxenber from Wharfe. It was on the route from Kilnsey by Mastiles Lane and over Stainforth Bridge used by the monks of Fountains Abbey on journeys to their granges in the Lake District. Both Fountains and Sawley Abbeys had possessions here. The three farmhouses and a few other houses across a ford shelter under the scar called Smearsett. Feizor Hall, originally monastic property and now a farmhouse, still retains several old features, and it once had a great yew tree in the garden. Mr Frederic Riley, who has described the history and legends of Craven in many books, lives in the hamlet. Spare rooms for rent is Spain

Leaving the buttresses of Ingleborough for a moment, we will go across the main road from Austwick to Lawkland out in the valley, and in between the two villages turn down a muddy lane for Austwick Moss, or Red Moss as it is sometimes called. This sixtyacre swamp is now a primitive mosquitoridden place, and is of interest to the naturalist rather than the farmer. The scrub that covers it marks it out amidst the bare windswept fields that surround it.

In 1757 Red Moss was allotted to people in dales (strips of land), and today it is shared amongst eighteen householders each with a dale twenty yards in width. Peat has been dug, bedding cut, and geese grazed there; and the story is told of an old farmer who kept a telescope directed on to it to spot when other men's stock were trespassing on his dale. Here rare specimens of beetle, moth, and fly are found, and uncommon birds such as the reedbunting, lesser redpoll, sedgewarbler, harrier, and, though more rare than formerly, the grasshopper warbler.

The chief point of interest amongst the scattered farmhouses that go to make up Lawkland is the hall. This Elizabethan house with an even earlier south front and tower dating from the reign of Henry VII is an architectural treasure. Built of warm coloured sandstone from the quarry at Knot Coppy near by, it is set in a formal Elizabethan garden and orchard sloping down to a beck. In the east wing under the floor of a room, once a chapel, on the second storey is a priest's hiding hole, a dungeon like cavity with a stone seat.

For three centuries Lawkland Hall was the home of the Ingilbys, whose coat of arms appears on the shield over the entrance on the north front. In 1573 John Ingleby, as the name was then spelt, of Acomb Grange, York, the second son of Sir William Ingleby of Ripley Castle, bought the Manor of Lawkland from his uncle, Peter Yorke of Middlesmoor, and at about the same time acquired Austwick Hall and the Manors of Clapham and Feizor. After leaving the hall in 1860 the Ingilbys sold it in 1912. Near by two fine tithe barns date from the early eighteenth century, and a small Roman Catholic chapel in the village was built by the family for public worship in 1790 after they had turned Protestant, and no longer used the chapel in the house.
Subscribe to our newsletter
Sign up here to get the latest news, updates and special offers delivered directly to your inbox.
You can unsubscribe at any time

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.